Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

It's very difficult to get an appointment with an physician

Customer Question

It's very difficult to get an appointment with an physician psychiatrists in my area. But, please consider this child:
1. Child 3-4 yrs old: Attacked older siblings at different times with scissors, garden implements; sending each to the doctor for sutures.
2. 4-5 yrs: Child was terribly afraid of visitors/relatives. Would hide under the bed until coaxed out by mother.
3. 5-6 yrs: Fits of rage. Slamming doors, breaking glassware. Broke the large plate glass window in the front door 3 times in rages. Still has a scar on shoulder from the broken glass slicing open the shoulder in one door slamming episode.
4. 6 yrs: In first grade (no kindergarten) was paralyzed with fear of speaking out or being noticed/criticized. One occasion this child defecated while sitting at his desk for fear of raising his hand.
5. 6-13 yrs old: Frequent moves, child went to a new school every year up to 11th grade. Father alcoholic, unstable, wife/children beater. Child had no friends, very afraid of social situations. very fearful of any criticism or rejection by teachers or peers. No friends.
6. 3-13 yrs: Wet the bed.
7. College: Socially isolated, no friends. Virgin until age 21 and that encounter was with a married female student 8 years older.
Can you tell me what childhood psychiatric problems this child had?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for your question. It is impossible for me to make an accurate diagnosis of a child without a face to face evaluation and after the fact, since the child is an adult now, but I will provide you with my best speculation. Based on the behaviors you described Social Anxiety, an Autism Spectrum Disorder, and either Oppositional Defiant Disorder or a Conduct Disorder appear to be present.