Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I ran across the medicine called ''Tranquilene'' and panic

Customer Question

I ran across the medicine called ''Tranquilene'' for anxiety and panic attacks.. but I an
currently taking Alprazolam XR 3mg, that my DR. prescribed for my anxiety and panic
attacks.. just wanted to know if it is safe!!!! because my DR. bailed out and left me hanging
so I am trying to find a medicine that is not addictive, cause I have been taking my meds for about 4 years.. and I want to wean my self off the XR med!! what should I do??
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for your question. The supplement Tranquilene is okay to use while on Alprazolam XR, but most likely this over the counter supplement is not going to be nearly strong enough to help you taper off the Alprazolam XR. I would recommend finding a new doctor/psychiatrist first that will help you with a slow and gradual tapering schedule off the Alprazolam. Also you should ask about being prescribed Pregablin as recent studies have shown that this helps when tapering off a benzodiazepine like Alprazolam XR. Pregablin is not nearly as addictive as Alprazolam and only has an off-label use for treating anxiety. Tapering from the Alprazolam is going to take time and will require a lot of patience as you and your doctor will not rush it because of potential withdrawal symptoms that can occur. I wish you all the best and I hope tapering from this Alprazolam goes smoothly for you.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I noticed that you viewed my answer and I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.