Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

Can you talk yourself into symptoms that manifests but are

Customer Question

Can you talk yourself into symptoms that manifests but are not caused by a medical condition?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am a psychiatrist and i believe i can help you with your query.

Well, you see such a condition where there is no apparent organic pathology or medical condition but the patient continues to complain of distress or discomfort or presence of symptoms, then such a condition has been termed as Somatoform disorder or psychosomatic disorder, where it is believed that psychological distress which has got stored in one's subconscious mind over period of time becomes overwhelming and starts expressing itself in the form of bodily or physical symptoms. So, it leads to numerous hospital/ doctor visits, lot of investigations having been done but all these reveal no organic cause or medical condition.

So I reckon that you get yourself evaluated by a psychiatrist and get yourself started on an anti depressant such as duloxetine at dose of 40 mg per day to be taken at night time. This will help your symptoms to subside and you shall be able to overcome his condition.

Alternatively, you may seek CBT therapy which is a specialized counseling to be sought from a clinical psychologist and this shall too help you to cope with this condition , although it may take several weeks for you to achieve relief through his while the medication may help your cause faster.

I hope his helps you to understand this phenomenon called as somatoform disorder , you may search it further to know it better.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Symptoms like MS? I had an Mri and all was good, but still having the symptoms.

Yes that is why i am suggesting this probable diagnosis since you will not get any thing on investigations , like nothing came upon doing mri but you continue to feel the symptoms which must be multiple bodily symptoms such as lethargy, generalised body ache and generalised weakness, feeling discomfort and myriad other symptoms which may be on and off, but invariably this has affected your functioning in your personal and professional domains of life. So using this medication with or without CBT therapy , it will help'you to overcome these symptoms.

I hope this makes sense .

Wish you all the best.

Regards.

I hope his