abray1115
abray1115, Doctor
Experience:  Primary care with particular care and experience in managing common psychiatric problems.
13781349

I suffer from what I call depression.it has got worse,i am

Customer Question

I suffer from what I call depression.it has got worse,i am know unable to leave my home.
I tried many drugs and they seem to make it worse.
it been 6mths since I left my house,the furthest I gone is too mly letter box and then I look around and rush back into the house.
I also had a lot of physical problems which don't help this situation.
all I seem to do is read a lot about what I should be doing and that fine,but I have lost the energy to help inprove myself.i know that I am only one that can help.
but I just seem lost.
I lost my self esteem and confidence to face the world.
My family don't come visit anymore,unless they have too.
I also have a intelligently disabled son who as move back into my home,so I currently help him out,and forget about me,so it easy to just stay home.
I lost friends over this,as people mean well but they don't know what to say and I get tired of saying,i am okay as people have their own problems.
I have lost contact with my GP.and don't have the confidence to do anything about it.so
I just suffer in silence by watching tv,or writing on here.
please don't tell me I have to start on medication,as I said before I tried everything over the years.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  abray1115 replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

I am sorry to hear that you have had such a difficult time with these issues. I agree that it sounds that you have long suffered depression.

I advise that you NOT GIVE UP however...

I would recommend that you get appointment with psychiatrist (I understand that you have been down this road but there must be a start point for you I think...)

Review with psychiatrist what meds have been tried...waht may have worked at least a little in the past ...

I think that you would more likley benefit from perhaps the best COMBINATION for you. It is trial and error but i would think that perhaps a combination for you such as CYMBALTA PLUS WELLBUTRIN MIGHT have some hope to help this condition...

(these two would combine to increase three neurotransmitters that relate to depression >> seratonin, norepinephrine plus dopamine..) These three being up-regulated I think may be helpful over time for your depression. (There is no magic wand for this problem and we understand that. You start on these medicines and still feel depressed and that is frustrating..

The thing is with the medications is that I compare DEPRESSION as being a large ship stranded at sea >> the medication is like a tugboat pulling against this large weight ... it should very gradually help you to get in a better position... it is a steady and gradual PROCESS ..

ALSO I would recommend that you ask about getting set up for counseling as well in combination with the medication as discussed and selected by you and your doctor (The combination of therapy PLUS medicine has been repeatedly proven to do better vs depression treatment than either side alone...

ALSO to extent that you may be able to accomplish these goals I recommend going for a daily walk outside >> sunshine if weather permits may have some emotional benefit...going for walk helps general sense of well being.. exercise benefits our emotional side as well...

Try to MAKE yourself do a few things that you may not FEEL LIKE doing such as picking up the phone and reaching out to a friend or family member. Social engagement would tend to improve your depression although your instincts when depressed are against this...

Expert:  abray1115 replied 1 year ago.

I submitted part of my reply but I am still here working on my response to you..

Expert:  abray1115 replied 1 year ago.

I recommend that IF you have any activities or hobbies that you may enjoy to pursue these >>EVEN WHEN YOU DO NOT FEEL LIKE IT .. I call this the THERAPY OF PLEASANT DISTRACTIONS .. I think to the extent that you may engage your mind in more positive things ( watching a movie or reading a book or gardening or playing Bingo or whatever .. whatever you would typically enjoy...) these steps should be a help to this long difficult process...

Expert:  abray1115 replied 1 year ago.

Emotional support for you is important. This may take many forms >> therapist or friend or family member to varying degrees. It helps you emotionally to be able to express yourself and get things off your chest and bounce ideas off of another...

Expert:  abray1115 replied 1 year ago.

There are many tools in the toolbox for this problem of depression. It is an ongoing process and takes effort and diligence. You can find improvement though!

Try to find the negative feelings and emotions and expectations at every turn... everything starts with an idea and a plan .. you have to plan to get better and focus on improving...

You will not see the birds in the trees if you always look down...

I hope that this is helpful for you. Let me know if you have further questions or discussion or concerns. I will be happy to get back with you! If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD