Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I need a medication that will help with immediate sleep

Customer Question

I need a medication that will help with immediate sleep onset. Ambien and Lunesta aren't working very well or Trazodone. Any old meds I can discuss w my dr? My dr prescribed either halcion (which I haven't tried yet) or Seroquel. I don't like Seroquel.
I've heard sonata is weaker than ambien. I apparently need strong sleep meds unfortunately. Belsomra has bad reviews. I need strong sleep hypnotic I guess. Any thoughts? The only med that kind of works is klonopin. I have never taken more than 1 mg which doesn't
work for sleep onset. Should I ask about increasing dosage? Thank u
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. You can definitely ask for an increase in dose of Klonopin but because of its long half life it may cause you to feel drowsy in the morning. You can ask about Ativan or Xanax which are benzodiazepines with a shorter half life. Xanax is also just as strong as Klonopin, but Ativan is s bit weaker. In addition you can discuss with your doctor about trying Doxepin or Gabapentin as these can be used as s sleep aid

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Halcion?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Halcion is a short life benzodiazepine like Xanax so as long as the dose is equivalent, which may take time to determine, this can be an option for you. But like all benzodiazepines, this should only be used in the short term to avoid physical addiction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok so it's like klonopin w shorter half life?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Exactly. There is no need to taper from the Klonopin as long as you are given an equivalent dose of the Halcion compared to the 1mg of the Klonopin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wonder why he prescribed halcion if I was already on klonopin
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Some people react differently to different benzodiazepines and this one is more fast acting and will not linger in your body like Klonopin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Says it is designed specifically for insomnia?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

It is designed specifically for insomnia for only a few weeks use because of the physical addiction factor. Halcion is not effective to treat anxiety like Klonopin is because of its extremely short half-life.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am looking for sleep onset only at this point. I need something to work as well as ambien once did for me
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Well you can try Halcion as they are similar in chemical properties in terms of affecting the neurotransmitter GABA. But remember like Ambien, your body is going to tolerate the Halcion, unless you find a more permanent solution for your insomnia.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I start psychotherapy very soon. I know this is anxiety induced insomnia. Not sure what I should try next Dr Z
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Psychotherapy will help to reduce the anxiety. Antidepressants in the day time (or Remeron taken at night) can help to lessen anxiety as well and are not physically addicting. The last thing would be to undergo a sleep study to determine if there is any other secondary cause for the insomnia or other possible treatments besides psychotherapy and psychotropic medications.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was diagnosed with primary insomnia?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Was that a question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why didn't 100 mg Seroquel work? I took 50 it didn't work. Waited an hour and took another 50 and I just stayed awake. I thought was supposed to put you to sleep. I was only on it for 4 days
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

It depends on how severe your insomnia is and because you became physically dependent on the Ambien that only worsened your insomnia in the long-run, which is possibly why the 100mg of Seroquel was not effective for you because you are so used to these sedative type medications right now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was on klonopin and Trazodone for almost a year, stopped working about a month ago, now struggling to find new Meds that work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am addicted to the sedative hypnotic and I don't know what to do about it other than try halcion?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear that. Most likely Klonopin still works for you but you became tolerant at the present dose which is common with physically addicting medications. You can try Halcion, but eventually you will be faced with the same problem with the Klonopin, which is why these medications are only meant to be used in the short term (6-8 weeks).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could Seroquel possibly work at 100 mg I'd i take it all at once?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

That will increase the onset of the sedative effect, so it is possible to help induce enough sedation to help you sleep at night.

I hope this answers all your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because I tried to divide the doses up last night it may have not worked too well?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Well this time do not divide it. You can also ask your doctor to increase the dose of the Seroquel too.