Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

My sun has 13 years old, as parents we're suffering from a

Customer Question

My sun has 13 years old, as parents we're suffering from a situation that he love the childhood period too much and this problem has about 4 years.
For example: he continuously said, when I was kid I was wearing kid cloth [ he feel satisfying when discuss kid period ] .
He love playing with 5 years child much much more than the boys within his age.
He love babies too much
When he see any child pic, he say hey hey look this is a child.
He loves taking album photo and look at his photos when he was kid
His mood becomes super after discussing, seeing or playing with anything related to kid period.
How can we reduce this too much loving and letting him focus on the current time, on the studying time.
Its unusual matter to take too much or take attention about anything related to kids.
Thanks
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am a psychiatrist and I am willing to help.

Kindly answer a few queries.

1) Is your son mentally of the same age as his peers, meaning is he in the same class in school as other 13 year olds ? Is he scholastically lagging behind other students of is age?

2) Does he find interacting with other children of his age difficult ?

3) Does he feel sad going to his school or to his class ?

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr. Kaushik,1- No, mentally not the same ( we can say 65% ) - he failed at one year - so he is with students 12 years old.
For education : he understand everything in oral, but in writing he is too slow, and need a help from us or from the teacher to remind him to write every 5 minutes, if we leave him, he will not write anything.
He is bored from studying, and wait the break time and ask for it too much.
Sometimes he know the answer, but he didn't write it until we ask him to do that.
In addition, sometimes when the teacher teaching at the class, he start to sign in a noticeable sound, and when the teacher asks him to stop, he refuse to stop, I think he sing as his brain saturated from the information, and try to reduce the pressure.2- Yes
3- No

Thanks for the inputs.

Based on your answers to my questions, there are 3 diagnoses which need to be considered for his traits and behaviour and any one of these shall justify his demeanor and personality attributes.

These diagnoses are - 1) Attention Deficit Disorder, which may explain why he does not pay attention to the task at hand and the teacher or parent has to be at the helm to forcibly ask him to do the task and complete it.

2) Autistic spectrum disorder- which may explain his lack of interaction with peers repeated production of a peculiar sound in class while the teacher is teaching, poor scholastic performance.

3) Specific learning disability - which may explain his inability to write or perhaps read at par with his peers.

So since these 3 diagnoses need to be thoroughly evaluated by a child psychiatrist on one to one interview basis, so i humbly suggest that you get him to a child psychiatrist and get him evaluated for these 3 diagnostic entities and once the diagnosis out of these 3 gets confirmed, it will become easier for the psychiatrist or psychologist to plan out a therapy for helping him so as to cope with this situation.

So although it will require some hard work from you as parents to seek help from a child psychiatrist in this regard, but it will be worth the benefits that your son may reap in the future and overcome this situation completely.

I hope this helps.

Wish your son all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards

If here are no further queries and if you are satisfied with the answer then kindly please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

Regards