Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I 't know how to start this but I guess maybe I should begin

Customer Question

I don't know how to start this but I guess maybe I should begin with my early childhood. When I was young I wanted to be in the military, it was always my dream to be like my father. I was always obsessed with it. I always felt like I could handle combat and if I could fight and die so some one else shouldn't have to, then my life would be meaningful. I always felt like my life would be short. I had a hard time dealing with emotions and I didn't even admit to even liking a girl until I was 15. I really didn't believe I should involve myself in such things, like it was against my purpose until I met some girl who, long story short, broke my heart after making me believe i had more of a purpose, so I learned it was true. I joined the marines and I had expected to be infantry or an MP but I actually got a MOS that is not generally "grunt-like." I am thinking on reenlistment I will change over to become infantry or a dog handler. I guess I just want to know, I've accomplished my goal of becoming a Marine but what now? I may never see combat and I'm not much for relationships, I've had a few and I honestly get bored or just feel bad. Sure I like girls but I'm honestly too afraid of the emotional pain. What is my purpose anymore? I just don't know.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

I am not going to be able to tell you what your purpose is in life as I have never met you, and also that is something that you are going to have to decide. You have to realize you are still very young and what you had as a preconceived notion of your purpose is flexible and open to change. You have to be open to change and try to focus on moving forward and discovering your purpose. Just because you may not see combat does not mean you have not found what you were meant to do or meant to be. Also with women that emotional pain you experienced before will go away and you will try to be in a relationship again without that fear of emotional pain. You are putting too much pressure on yourself given your age and instead you have to enjoy life and live in the moment because the future is not written yet, all you have control over is right here in the present and the here and now, so focus on that. Maybe you should consider seeking therapy to help you with a list of future goals for yourself so that you have something to work towards.