Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I found out 1 week ago about my husband's alcohol abuse and

Customer Question

I found out 1 week ago about my husband's alcohol abuse and dozens and dozens of casual sexual encounters with prostitutes and other women. He has essentially been living a double life, hidden not only from me but from all our family and friends. He has been out of the house since I found out, and I have been focusing only on myself. I am 4 months pregnant. I have learned new layers of this each day, and today going through years of our finances the extent of the addictive nature of his behavior it me. He and I are both physicians. In addition to what his behavior has done to our family, his alcohol use while on call makes patient care extremely dangerous (fortunately there have been no adverse outcomes, but that is only by chance).
It seems he has been reaching out trying reach out to find answers for himself. He has seen multiple therapists over the past week, has had assessments at various places and has been going to SAA meetings. The overwhelming advice seems to be that he is
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello, I am very sorry that you are having these issues with your husband and that he has kept his issues from you as well. Because this is only a Q&A website, what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am looking for recommendations for resources for integrative addiction programs that will deal with both the substance abuse as well as the sexual addiction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in the Los Angeles area
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

That can be arranged. It is late right now so I will have to make some phone calls in the morning to find the most appropriate programs for both addictive issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Will I receive an email when you have some recommendations?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Hello again and thank you for your patience. I had some emails sent to colleagues in the LA area (that is where I completed my doctorate so I know many different colleagues there) and this is the list I came up with to help your husband.

1. Tarzana Treatment Center mainly focuses on treating alcohol and substance abuse, but they will address the sexual addiction as well.

https://www.tarzanatc.org/services/

2. Westside Treatment has a dual focus on both substance/alcohol treatment and sexual addiction.

https://treatment.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_detail.php?profid=243466&sid=1444220362.2867_22613&city=Los+Angeles&county=Los+Angeles&state=CA&spec=257&tr=ResultsName

3. The Hills Treatment Center is an excellent resource for both substance/alcohol abuse treatment and for treating sexual addiction

https://treatment.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_detail.php?profid=99360&sid=1444220362.2867_22613&city=Los+Angeles&county=Los+Angeles&state=CA&spec=257&tr=ResultsName

4. The Institute of Sexual Health is considered the best place for treating Sexual Addiction. So if your husband wants to go to one place for his alcohol/substance abuse issues and then here for the Sexual Addiction that could be possible as well

http://theinstituteforsexualhealth.com/

So overall these would be the top facilities in the LA area to take your husband for treatment. I hope this helps and gives you and your husband some guidance on taking the next steps for his recovery and hopefully resolution of this behavior.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating before you sign off. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.