Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I just changed my medicine from Zoloft 125 mg. a day to

Customer Question

I just changed my medicine from Zoloft 125 mg. a day to Celexa 11 days ago and I am on 20 mg. of Celexa a day. It is working but not quite where it should be. Should I increase my dose to 25 mg a day or 30 mg. a day. My doctor is on vacation and he said if 20 did not work we would increase. I think I should increase now but not sure what dose to try?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area

Hello and thank you for your question. You do not want to increase too fast as your body will be too overwhelmed from the medication which causes initial adverse effects (e.g. nausea, insomnia, increased anxiety, headaches, etc...). So it would be better to increase to 25mg/day and then in 7 days you can increase to 30mg/day. This is a gradual titration upwards that will allow your body to better adjust to the Celexa and lessen any initial adverse effects.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I noticed that you viewed my answer and I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?