Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am suffering from constant anxiety. I have felt it

Customer Question

I am suffering from constant anxiety. I have felt it sneaking up over the last year but took a major tailspin in the last month and a half. I have a job that requires me to concentrate and meet deadlines and I can't concentrate and just keep fixating on
things to freak out about ... accomplishing nothing. I was prescribed 20 mg of paxil four days ago and .5 alprazolam 1 to two tablets a day as needed. I really don't understand how to take the latter drug in my situation. Do I take it only when I am so panicked
I feel like my heart will burst or do I take it when I am feeling major anxiety which is pretty much 24/7 right now. Today I took one this morning and by mid afternoon started panicking again and it just won't let up. It's the oddest feeling of pure panic
and complete exaustion.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for your question. You only want to take the Alprazolam as needed, meaning when you feel so overwhelmed by your anxiety that you need quick relief. The Alprazolam will start to lessen your anxiety within 30-60 minutes and is only effective for 6-8 hours, so this is why your anxiety and panic started to come back in the mid-afternoon. The Paxil is going to be your mainstay medication for anxiety, but Paxil takes around 6-8 weeks to reach maximum effectiveness, so this is why you were prescribed the Alprazolam to be used until the Paxil reaches it's maximum effectiveness. So for right now, plan on taking your Alprazolam in the morning and afternoon when you know your anxiety is at its worst, and try to space them out by 6-8 hours.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I noticed that you viewed my answer and I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating before you sign off. Thank you