Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My son has been on citalopram 20mgs six years he suffers

Customer Question

My son has been on citalopram 20mgs for about six years he suffers tiredness and lack of libido and quick temper he has read citalopram can cause these symptoms
he is married now and feels he should come off them as he finds he needs to take Viagra which gives him horrible headaches . He feels that if he comes off the citaloporam he may find his ED and libido will be back to normal . Should his doctor do this with him or can he do it himself by reducing to say one day 20 one day 10 next day 20 etc and gradually reduce that way
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long does it take to get an answer ? Wish you were as quick at answering as you were at taking the payment .... Come on ..!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If i wanted to wait I'd have gone to a gp ...
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.

Hello and thank you for your question. It is very possible that the Citalopram is causing his symptoms of ED as that is a possible side effect with this medication, and all SSRI antidepressants. He should at least inform his doctor of his willingness to taper off the Citalopram and maybe will be given a tapering schedule. A good tapering schedule to avoid withdrawal symptoms will look similar to this:

-Reduce to 10mg/day of Citalopram for 7-10 days

-Reduce to 5mg/day of Citalopram for 7-10 days

-Reduce to 5mg every other day for 10 days

-Reduce to 5mg every third day for 12-15 days (this is optional if your son wants to be very conservative or has been struggling with withdrawal symptoms during the tapering process thus far).

Thank you again for your question and please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns as I am happy to assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it safe for him to continue with Viagra despite the headaches , while he tapers off the citalopram
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately headaches are very common with Viagra and other erectile dysfunction medications. He can safely continue the Viagra while he tapers off the Citalopram as the headaches are not a severe symptom. Once the Viagra is discontinued, the headaches should cease.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating before you sign off. Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I noticed that you viewed my answer and I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?