Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Ive been dealing with hypochondria based anxiety of my life

Customer Question

Hi. Ive been dealing with hypochondria based anxiety for much of my life but i feel its hit a peak now at 40. Within the last 6 months ive had anxiety regarding heart disease, pancreitis, brain tumors and now als. Ive been having muscle twitching all over
for 4 months now. Ive aeen a neurologist who gave me a clinical exam and said was benign. I am having other symptoms of joint and muscle pains now along with it. I am going to test for autoimmume disorders but i know i need to work on my anxiety. I cant take
my mind off it. I worry every day about every ache, pain, twitch that i feel
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am very sorry that you are dealing with this level of hypochondriasis, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. Hypochondriasis is a mixture of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and a Somatic Disorder (physical symptoms caused by your mind), so the treatment for it must account for both of these issues for there to be a complete resolution. I would highly recommend that you start to see a psychologist/therapist that specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) as these are the best forms of therapy to treat OCD and Somatic complaints. In addition, the use of therapy is often not successful on its own, so a SSRI antidepressant should be used (e.g. Luvox, Lexapro, Zoloft, etc...) to help lessen your symptoms and provide you with some relief until the therapy reaches maximum effectiveness after a few months. I would highly recommend that you contact your doctor and ask about SSRI antidepressants to help lessen your anxiety and hypochondriasis.