Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I used to see good in people and believed good would win

Customer Question

I used to see good in people and believed good would win over evil.
I enjoy living by a strong oral compass. I felt joy doing what is right as my honor was the granite my moral compass was built upon.
After being divorced for five years, my former husband decided I should be dead or remarried and would no longer pay my alimony. He committed perjury in court and I was honest. By cheating and lying he won.
How did evil win over good and how do I go back to being me and not the damaged and confused person I am now.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello, I am very sorry that you are having this issue. Unfortunately the realities of the world is that sometimes bad things will happen to good people and that good things can happen to bad people as well. The world is not necessarily fair and this issue with your ex-husband may have brought that reality into focus for you. This issue you are having is because you now have two conflicting world views that are causing an internal conflict within you, but that does not mean it has to overwhelm you. I would highly recommend that you look into Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) to help you process these conflicting views and help you to see yourself and the world in a more objective light which can help you to combine these two world views for yourself. A good book that I would like to recommend for you is called "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy" by Burns which may be helpful for you to overcome this.