Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Can an anti depressant that once worked ever work again?

Customer Question

can an anti depressant that once worked ever work again ?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for your question. It truthfully depends, may I ask which antidepressant are you referring to, how long did you use it for, and at what dose?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took effexor xr for 12 yrs my final dose was 375 mg ive now been off of it for almost 2 months i am now taking brintellix
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Okay because you took such a high dose of the Effexor and for a long period of time most likely it will not work again for you as you developed a tolerance unless you add an augment like abilify. But your best bet would be to switch to another antidepressant.