Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I think I may have borderline personality disorder. I go

Customer Question

I think I may have borderline personality disorder. I go through odd and extreme mood cycles daily. I always require a "fresh start" so I change jobs and move across the country. I've moved as many as 6 times in a year. I just get so very bored. I know this sounds awful, but I feel like I'm surrounded by idiots. People only care about material things and drinking, it's so dull. Never have seen the appeal in getting married and buying a house to live in forever. I would love to travel and live out of a backpack somehow. My parents are worried and they do not support anything I do, which hurts. I have self harmed in the past and I often entertain suicidal thoughts, but I could never end my life. Relax, I'm in the process of finding a psychologist! So please don't feel overwhelmed. I just wanted some feedback! Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello, I am very sorry you are experiencing these symptoms, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. It does sound like Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) could be an option as a diagnosis given what you described as you are the right age, have rapid mood swings (usually of anxiety, depression, and anger), impulsive, and have suicidal ideations. Individuals with BPD will also typically have an issue with anger out bursts as well. In addition, poor interpersonal relationships and issues of abandonment/attachment are common too with this disorder.

You state you want feedback, but I am not sure what feedback you are looking for since you did not pose a specific question in regards ***** ***** issue, so if you have any specific questions please feel free to ask them.