Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Which is the best drug Paroxetin or escitalopram.I am under

Customer Question

which is the best drug Paroxetin or escitalopram.I am under treatment for panic attacks.One doctor suggest paroxetin12.5 twice and one escitalopram 20 mg once a day
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.

Hello and thank you for your question. You have to understand that the term “best” medication to treat someone’s panic and anxiety is very relative. Psychotropic medications are not an exact science unfortunately so sometimes there are some trial and error approaches to get the right medication and dosage that will work for you with little to no side effects. For some people they respond great to certain medications and for others they do not respond at all and that is because our body chemistries are different. So in your case some people will respond well to the Escitalopram and others will respond better to the Paroxetine…this is just the fact of how these medications work. Escitalopram is usually considered a better first line option than Paroxetine though because on average it shows a better effectiveness rate to lessen anxiety/panic and also has a lower rate of side effects as well. There is no guarantee that you will respond to the Escitalopram, but it is a better first line option to try…and if you do not respond well to the Escitalopram than you can try the Paroxetine.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating. Thank you