Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have recurrent MDD and have some symptoms that are like

Customer Question

I have recurrent MDD and have some symptoms that are like Bipolar 2 and am interested to see if I should follow them up
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. It never hurts to discuss your symptoms with your psychiatrist as this can be a disorder that was overlooked previously for some reason. Or these symptoms could be a result of your treatment, like your medication, and a simple adjustment may all that is needed. If the symptoms are bothersome to you than discussing them with a psychiatrist will not hurt and then after that you can discuss treatment options

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I previously mentioned it to my psychiatrist but he didn't think so but referred only to BP 1. Before I make a further appointment and spend more money I wanted to get an idea if my symptoms are possibly bp.
I get some really good feelings and get very hopeful but still find I can start to get down easily as well. it feels like a rollercoaster most of the time. My depression can lift as if a switch has been flicked and then come back out of the blue.
I regularly have racing thoughts and find it very difficult to stop my mind. I can switch between all sorts of things and go over and over certain thoughts. Very often this will be in the night so my sleep often affected. Quite often I can’t concentrate on anything or on what people are talking about as I am so caught up in my thoughts.
I get very irritable even when I am in a good mood and impatient with people if they don’t get what I am talking about. I am less irritable when depressed as I can’t really be bothered.
Quite often I feel the only way to calm my mind and body is through drink. I don;t have much but just a couple of drinks really helps settle me.
Before my last two periods of depression I was much more interested in sex and did some things that I normally wouldn’t consider at all. I still struggle to think I did them at all!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have anxiety and OCD, in fact the anxiety is difficult to deal with as I get it even when not depressed.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Individuals with a bipolar disorder typically will have symptoms of mania of hypomania that last at least a week, with No depressive symptoms. Because your symptoms change more rapidly suggests that it would not be a bipolar disorder, but it sounds like you are having bouts of anxiety and stress. In addition, because the alcohol helps suggests that this is anxiety causing the mood swings, irritability, and lack of patience. There is also a possibility you may have cyclothymic disorder which is considered a less intense version of s bipolar disorder where you have some symptoms of mania and depression but not enough to meet the criteria and the mood swings are more rapid. So I think anxiety is your primary culprit, but I would rule out for cyclothymic disorder to be thorough

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Prior to the last two bouts of depression I had up periods when I was a lot more interested in sex to the point where it was affecting my work and home life and no depressive symptoms at all. Those desire faded as I started to feel low moods coming in... The moods have been more variable since I started Sertraline 3 months ago, prior to that they were more varied but lasted longer
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

If this was bipolar disorder your symptoms would have worsened much more significantly with the Sertraline, so I doubt this is a bipolar disorder. It still could be a cyclothymic disorder though

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating. Thank you