Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

What is difference between thoughts and auditory

Customer Question

Hi Doctor,
What is difference between thoughts and auditory hallucinations. Is Auditory hallucination hearing through ears?
Regards,
Megha
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for your question. The difference between auditory hallucinations and thoughts is that with an auditory hallucination you genuinely believe that someone is standing next to you and talking directly in your ear, so the origin of the auditory hallucination is from outside the head. So the auditory hallucination has the same sensation as if someone is talking to you, but of course no one is there. With thoughts the origin of the stimuli is within your head, so you do not hear them outside of your head like you would if someone was talking to you.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****