Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have only recently started to punch myself hard in the

Customer Question

i have only recently started to punch myself hard in the face i have been to seen a psychiatrist and he says there is nothing wrong with me
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am sorry that you are having these episodes of punching yourself in the face, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. Can you tell me do these episodes of punching yourself in the face occur on an impulse or do you think about it beforehand? Do you punch yourself multiple times in rapid succession or is it just one time before you stop yourself? Lastly what is your mood like before you start to punch yourself...are you happy, sad, anxious, angry, etc....?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
angry stressed and i have already seen professional and he said there is nothing wrong with me i think that my mood can change quite rapadly through out the day i have a 10 year old daughter that i have stoped seeing because of these stages i have been told to see a doctor by my phsyiciachist i did and he said i have a acute stress disorder
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I understand that you have seen a psychiatrist who told you that there was nothing wrong, but I am assuming that you are asking your question here because you want a second opinion. Can you answer the first two questions I posed so that I can better understand your situation.... 1. Can you tell me do these episodes of punching yourself in the face occur on an impulse or do you think about it beforehand? 2. Do you punch yourself multiple times in rapid succession or is it just one time before you stop yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing wrong with me
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

So if you state that there is nothing wrong with you, than what is your specific mental health question? My assumption is that you wanted a second opinion, is that what you are looking for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think about it i in low mood hate my self rapid
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I would agree with the acute stress disorder, but the act of punching yourself in the face like you described could be an impulse control disorder where you basically act without thinking. This impulse control disorder can cause you harm, and you do so to help you cope and relieve your stress/anxiety. This is considered a maladaptive coping strategy and it will only worsen your anxiety/stress in the long-term, which is why you may want to consider seeking treatment for your acute stress disorder and this possible impulse control disorder. If the psychiatrist you saw will not help you than maybe you can see a psychologist for therapy, so that you can learn more proper techniques to cope with your anxiety and stress, so that you do not have to resort to the self-harm.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating if you are satisfied with my answer. Thank you