Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My daughter has avoidance disorder I do her shopping am I

Customer Question

my daughter has avoidance disorder I do her shopping am I enabling her? what can I do to change the situation?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.

Hello and thank you for your question. Unfortunately you are definitely enabling your daughter's avoidant behavior by shopping for her, but I understand why you would do this as you want to make sure she is taking care of. The best thing you can do right now is to get your daughter into treatment immediately and then only she can be given the proper tools to lessen the impact this disorder has on her. You can agree to continue shopping for her, but only if she agrees to treatment and then her treatment team will work on a plan to lessen your enabling and help your daughter to be more independent and social. It is going to be a systematic process for her treatment, so I would not recommend stopping your assistance abruptly, but instead allow for her to get the treatment she needs so that when you do lessen your assistance it will be planned and she will have the tools to cope. But the first thing you need to do is push her towards treatment as this behavior cannot continue for her well being.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****