Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My boyfriend is EXCESSIVELY excitable!!! It's not just when

Customer Question

My boyfriend is EXCESSIVELY excitable!!! It's not just when he's happy. In his regular day also. He is very intelligent, but he gets SO excitable like a little kid!! He's 48 years old!!! He's just over-the-top with everything!!! He's also the world's biggest BRAGGER!!! I'm British and we were taught NOT to brag. So when I deal with anyone I understand it... to a point. I'm sure the bragging is just from lack of self confidence and he's over compensating. But no one has ever been so competitive and having to be the best, ***** ***** more...
I have told him how I feel about it and he calms down for a short time but it's automatic
behavior. I want to point out he never gets angry about anything except if someone would cross me. When I've confronted him about this, he is calm, contemplative and logical and acts normally. Is this "over-the-top" child like excitability something that could be a medical problem? Please advise.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.

Hello and thank you for your question. Because you mentioned that your boyfriend was diagnosed with ADHD, that is most likely the cause of this form of "excitablity" and overall increased self-confidence. ADHD in men will often cause increased energy, drive, and can cause some increased grandiose behavior. So ADHD would be the primary possibility for his behavior. The other possibilities could range from Bipolar Disorder or Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD). Bipolar Disorder can easily cause this increased energy, drive, grandiosity, etc...., but typically individuals with a Bipolar Disorder will only experience these symptoms for a few weeks than will either stabilize or go to a depressed state. You do not indicate any type of mood swing from his behavior to suggest Bipolar Disorder though, so it probably should be ruled out. NPD can also cause some grandiosity and competitiveness like you described, but usually you are going to see issues of manipulation, lack of empathy, and controlling others and you did not describe your boyfriend in that manner so I believe that NPD can be ruled out as well.

Overall if there is anything medically wrong with your boyfriend, ADHD is the cause of this behavior given the symptoms and his clinical history, but it will take a face to face assessment to confirm the diagnosis.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to leave a POSITIVE rating. Thank you