Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I was prescribed viibryd today anxiety. I already take 1 mg

Customer Question

Hi I was prescribed viibryd today for daytime anxiety. I already take 1 mg klonopin and 150 mg traZadone at night for insomnia and anxiety is there a natural supplement I can take for anxiety that won't interfere w the other mess? Sick of mess. Thx
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

Well, yes there are some natural supplements which can be taken to mitigate anxiety and which will be safe also as they will not interact harmfully with the medications that you are currently taking.

These natural supplements are as mentioned below.

1) Kava kava / kava root either in pill form or in the form of kava tea. Since kava tea contains less amount of the kavalactones which is the active ingredient in kava responsible for fighting off anxiety so pill form will be better to take and a dose of 100-250 mg / day is recommended , so start at lower doses, which may require you to take more than one pill / day since the kava pill available at your end may not be 100 mg or more in strength , so by taking two or three of these in divided doses per day shall make up the recommended dose and help your cause.

2) Valerian root extract is another natural anxiety anxiety supplement. It may not be as effective as kava against anxiety but with its additive sleep inducing action it may actually suit you if you take it at night time while taking kava in the morning and afternoon doses.

3) Magnesium supplements since deficiency of magnesium mineral causes worsening of anxiety specially the anxiety attacks. So its supplements shall be useful in assisting the others in bringing anxiety under control.

4) L-methyl folate is another supplement which i will recommend since it works with the likes of ssri anti depressants like viibyrd and augments their action against anxiety. A dose of 7.5-15 mg / day is recommended of the same.

So adding 1,3 and 4 options mentioned here are a must for better outcome, while adding 2 to these other 3 is your choice.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to take the vibryid will these supplements help?

Well, you see alone these supplements will not be able to pull you through against the anxiety but yes if you add another natural herbal supplement such as St. John's wort at dose of 300 mg to be taken two to three times a day along with these many supplements, then your regime can become strong enough to counter anxiety without the use of viibryd.

However, i will support the use of viibryd in your case since it is a very safe drug and it may gel well with these supplements and once your anxiety is won over then you can decide on discontinuing viibryd and continuing only on these supplements.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards