Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I know I need to go and get help but I cant

Customer Question

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello, what exactly is your mental health question that you would like an answer to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How to face the shame to go get help.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Why do you feel shame exactly? What are your symptoms that you require help with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been diagnosed with Ptsd , anxiety , major depressive disorder. I found out I have been living with a malignant narcissist. I am afraid if I go to a hospital I will get embarrassed and become combative
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I understand why you are concerned, but the first thing you have to realize is that you do not have to go to a major hospital. Hospitals are very chaotic and fast-paced to deal with the volume of patients that they see on a daily basis, but this can cause you frustration and anxiety, so maybe a hospital would not be an ideal place for you. Instead try to find a small clinic or private practice of a psychologist/therapist that specializes in treatment of PTSD and emotional/verbal abuse as these practitioners will be much more patient and flexible to you. Also the environment may be more relaxing and put you more at ease as well.

Another thing you can do is call ahead and have an informative phone/teletherapy appointment with the psychologist/therapist as this can help you feel more relaxed as you form a basic relationship with the practitioner and will help you to feel more at ease once you go in for indepth sessions.

In addition, going to a woman's shelter/center or a domestic violence center would be ideal as these specialists frequently treat patients that are in similar positions as you and will help to put you more at ease while in treatment. Also there are support groups of women that are in similar positions as you, and you can just sit and listen to them so that you know that you are not alone in this and that others have gone through a similar ordeal as you. Knowing this and seeing this will help you to open up more towards treatment as well.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****