Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

We took our son testing. The results were negative, now the

Customer Question

We took our son for ADHD testing. The results were negative, now the testing center is recommending WICS V and "Symptom Interview" all at cost of over $2900. After they want to schedule parents only feedback sessions additional cost. Does this all make sense?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.

Hello and thank you for your question. This plan of action by the testing center really only makes sense if you want a more in depth look at your son from a psychological and diagnostic point of view. The WISC-V is just an intelligence assessment, so the test will examine your son's intellectual and processing speed abilities and give you a picture of what his IQ is and what are his strengths and weakness in terms of cognitive abilities. I do not know your son or what symptoms he has, but this test can help determine if he has any cognitive or processing speed issues that need to be addressed. The "symptom interview" sounds like it is a clinical interview where a psychologist/therapist will interview your son and the parents to get a snapshot of the clinical history and what current issues/symptoms are bothersome and need attention. Truthfully a clinical interview should have done with the ADHD testing as testing alone without a clinical interview is considered irresponsible and unprofessional because psychological assessments only provide one aspect of the clinical picture for an individual, the other aspect is filled with an indepth clinical or symptom interview.

The feedback session is provided at the end of all testing to give the individual and/or parents an understanding of the results of the tests (you should also be given a full copy of the report of the results on the testing to take home with you), areas of concern, and any recommendations that the psychologist/therapist feels will help your son.

Overall, if your son is displaying some cognitive and processing speed issues than the WISC-V is pretty standard as an initial test to determine the level of his cognitive and processing speed abilities. But the WISC-V is not definitive in this area and usually further testing is required to narrow down potential diagnoses. Also a clinical interview/symptom interview should have been done already, so that is the only part I am very surprised was not completed already. Now if you feel your son's cognitive and/or processing speed issues are of concern and have caused him to fall behind in his schooling than you should definitely test him using the WISC-V, but also be prepared for further testing as well depending on the results of the WISC-V. I would ask the testing center if further testing would be needed and if that is included in the 2900 dollars or not.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****