Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I was on 20 mg of Cipralex years. 9 days ago I decided to

Customer Question

I was on 20 mg of Cipralex for 4 years. 9 days ago I decided to try effexor as it worked well in the past. I was prescribed 75 mg to start and was told to stop cipralex immediately. I can't handle the withdrawal symptoms. Can I start up my cipralex and stop the effexor? I last took the effexor about 15 hours ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

Since when are you taking effexor ?

Regards

Well since you have been taking effexor since past 9 days straight so it just yet must not have reached steady state plasma level in your body therefore it gives you the opportunity to stop the drug now and get started on cipralex but start on 10 mg dose first and take it for 1 week then raising the dose to 20 mg per day and continue taking it.

The reason i suggest not to start on the previously used 20mg dose of cipralex because your body will take some time around 1 week or so for it to wash out the effexor since that is present in your system, so after 1 week of 10 mg you can go up to 20 mg dose of cipralex as by that it will be safe to take that dose as much of your effexor in the body must have washed out by that time.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards