Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have been diagnosed with harm ocd and have not been

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with harm ocd and have not been successful with any medications currently I'm started on geodon 20mg I have intrusive harm thoughts reassurance seeking no other behaviors except sometimes switches moods very quickly and anger easily with people I have seem various physicI ans who say that my symptoms aren't typical for ocd but they stil think tjays ehat i is i will have violent thimgs from thr news in my mind thinminf im seeinf me do those thimgs or soemtimes believe they happenedl think k ocd I have. Vividpictures in my mind that stay with me all day I am able to function with my daily routine however thr symptoms are quite disturbing when I have asked doctors if having mental images is common they really have not heard to of
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am sorry that you are suffering from a diagnosis of Harm OCD, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. What exactly is your mental health question that you would like an answer to regarding this issue? Can you name all your previous medications that you have tried? Are you currently in therapy as well or has that been tried in combination with your medication regimen? And how long have you had these symptoms for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried all sSri the question is does the believing of a tories of harmful events go with ocd like I almost.calledy friend and told her her son died or the isis events I will picture in my head all day the stories don't seem.to switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been on the highest doses of sSri with no relief I'm currently on 20mg of geodon to start and I think the doctor wants to go to 40 a day soon when would that help me.if ot was going to
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
When you have these intrusive thoughts of a friend's son dying or about terrorist attacks like ISIS, do you actually believe them to be real or do you know they are not real, although you cannot stop focusing on them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The symptoms started during pregnancy and persisted which is.8 years ago.series
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Okay, and how old are you now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess on a level I k own their not.real but sometimes they are very vivid and there will be urges to say like I gave an example of.my friend it seems to all be related to things I've seem on tv foe. The most part I'm 39 and did.not have before pregnancies
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get alot of mental images of guns which I on own and doing violent things but have never acted and are unaware of why
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Your symptoms do sound like you are suffering from an OCD type disorder where you are having intrusive and repetitive thoughts that you cannot control and they are causing you a significant amount of distress. Because you have a sense that these thoughts are not based on reality and are symptoms of your thought process suggests this is not a Delusional Disorder and more akin to OCD. The Geodon may help, but if you have not responded to the SSRI antidepressants than trying TCA antidepressants would be the next option in combination with the Geodon. Lamictal, a mood stabilizer, has also been shown to be effective in treating OCD disorders, so that can be an option to add to the Geodon too. After that, more intensive measures will need to be considered for treatment like IV Ketamine, Deep Brain Stimulation, and possibly ElectroConvulsive Therapy (ECT).

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brain stimulation what is that and what is ect
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Deep Brain Stimulation has been shown to be effective for treating highly resistant cases of OCD. It involves surgically implanting electrodes in the Anterior Cingulate Cortex to help regulate brain impulses to stop the symptoms of OCD. Here is a good article on this for you:

https://iocdf.org/expert-opinions/expert-opinion-dbs/

ECT is ElectroConvulsive Therapy that uses micro electrical pulses delivered to the brain non-surgically to help stimulate neurotransmitters and regulate their function to stop OCD symptoms.

These are reserved for resistant cases of OCD as they can cause significant and long-term adverse effects, which is why they should only be used as a last resort.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I noticed that you viewed my answer and I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?