Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I have been having a difficult time with my parents. Ever

Customer Question

I have been having a difficult time with my parents. Ever since I started having a children. My parents have turned against me and my children. They are not like this towards my sisters, who have children of their own as well.
When my daughter was 2.5 years old, my daughter peed on their floor. It was an accident. They went crazy on me and started to critize my parenting skills. For a while, I stopped talking to them and refused to spend any holiday time with my side of the family.
Just recently, my parents both physically and verbally abused my daughter, who is now 6.5 years old. My father pulled a chair from under her that totally knocked her to the floor. She was hurt and confused. My dad's response is he wanted to teach her a lesson. My Mother has been more verbally abusive towards my daughter. She is yelling at my daughter to use a folk and not with her fingers. My mom advises me that she needs to have better table manners.
This situation became ugly.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am very sorry that you are having this issue with your parents, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. What exactly is your mental health question that you would like an answer to regarding this situation?