Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Recently my wifes mom passed away not even 24hrs after

Customer Question

Hi. Recently my wifes mom passed away not even 24hrs after giving birth to my newborn daughter. This happened a couple of months ago but ever since then she's been taking Valium and other pills to numb her pain. She's been forgetful, drowsy, clumsy, she just does whatever she wants and just leaves for hours with out telling us. I can never tell if she's sober. I love my wife dearly and I want the best for her. But this is also taking a toll on me. I have two other young children which makes 3 total. I'm trying to stay strong and be understanding but im starting to feel frustrated. I've tried talking to her and she sees a therapist. But she doesn't listen. I don't know what to do.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am very sorry that you and your wife are going through this issue right now, I can understand how her behavior has put a strain on your marriage. Given that your wife lost her mother near the same time as the birth of your daughter can be traumatic for anyone, so she is definitely trying to cope and numb the pain, but this is only repressing the true issues at hand. Would your wife be willing to seek out counseling to help her process this loss? And you did not pose a question directly, so what exactly is your mental health question that you would like an answer to regarding this situation?