Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I need a second opinion. What do you think og Brintellix an

Customer Question

Hello, I need a second opinion.
What do you think og Brintellix for depression an anxiety, is it good, bad? Side effects and how long before it kicks in? i have been offered to try it sinve wellburtin, remeron, venlafaxine and lexapro did not work for me. I am very depressed With tough anxiety, real bad mornings.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.

Hello Brintellix is a very new antidepressant on the market, so it is not as well established as other antidepressants unfortunately. Currently this antidepressant is only approved to treat Depressive symptoms and is not approved to treat anxiety symptoms. Studies have shown mixed results when using Brintellix to treat anxiety, so I would not recommend this medication if you have anxiety issues. Brintellix has shown promise in treating depressive symptoms though and has a low incidence rate of side effects, which is supposedly going to make it a superior antidepressant compared to the standard SSRI/SNRI antidepressants. The reason I say "supposedly" is because this antidepressant is about a year old and there has just not been enough peer reviewed research comparing its effectiveness to other antidepressants. Some of the more common side effects associated with this medication are nausea, sexual dysfunction, dizziness, constipation, and dry mouth...but these side effects (except for the sexual dysfunction) typically resolve in a few weeks as the body adjusts to the medication. In addition, it usually takes around 3-4 weeks to start noticing results on this medication and around 6-8 weeks to reach maximum effectiveness. If you truly have a significant issues with anxiety than I would not recommend Brintellix for you, but if Depressive symptoms were a major issue and you have not had success with other medications than you may respond well to the Brintellix.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. What would recommend a good drug treating anxiety as well as depression? And what is best plan for tapering 35mg oxazepam without giving morning cravings? And anxiety due to short half life and all gone in the morning?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

That is actually two questions, and per JustAnswer rules I can only answer your original question. If you would like to ask about the Oxezepam in a future question you are more than welcome to.

If you did not respond well to the Lexapro, Remeron, Venlafaxine, or Wellbutrin than you can ask your doctor about trying Sertraline or Paroxetine as these two antidepressants are very effective in treating both depression and anxiety. In addition, you could also go in another direction and try Lamotrigine which is a mood stabilizer. This medication is very effective for lessening depressive symptoms and studies have shown that it can significantly lessen anxiety because of its Glutamate regulation function.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I noticed that you viewed my answer and I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My issue is also tapering oxazepam. But you would not answer that. For me it is within same theme as Brintellix since I am uncertain about my whole drug
Situation. Since you did not answer on the tapering issue. I find it difficult to rate you. I am used to have anwers on more
Than a single question on Just
Answer
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I am only following the rules of JustAnswer because you did not mention the Oxazepam in your original question. If you mentioned the Oxazepam in your original question I would have been able to answer it, but because your original question was only on Brintellix and then you asked a very different question on Oxazepam, which is a very different class of medications, I am forced to respond with the Justanswer policy on this matter. Also Oxazepam is not used regularly in the United States either, so my tapering schedule may not have been appropriate for it given that it is primarily used in Europe. I understand you are not happy with this, but I have to follow the rules of JustAnswer on this matter.