Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Z; I previously asked you a question about Prozac and Toprol

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Z;I previously asked you a question about Prozac and Toprol XL. I have been reading about the drug interactions and they are scaring me. I cut my Toprol to 12.5 mg. My psychiatrist told me to continue taking the 40 mg. of Prozac (I did not go off it). I don't understand why he would do so because of the risk of hypotension and bradycardia. Do you think 12.5 mg. of Toprol XL is okay to take with the Proac. I'm in a bind as I don't want to stop the Toprol because I am on it for SVT.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. You're right about the potential for the two medications to possibly cause hypotension and bradycardia. That said, so long as you monitor your blood pressure and your heart rate there shouldn't be a problem here. 12.5 mg of Toprol is probably sufficient to control your SVT but you need to discuss that with the doctor who prescribes it
Let me know if you need any more information please
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello again, sorry I missed your question I was away from my computer all day. Please let me know if you still want me to answer your question or if you have any other questions you would like me to answer for you.