Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My LTD insuance company recently required me to attend a

Customer Question

Hello, My LTD insuance company recently required me to attend a neuropsychological evaluation, and I did. I was suspicious for it's purpose going in, and felt this was my insurance company's attempt to deny my LTD benefits, and I was correct, as I was
informed of this yesterday the NE results, justified a denial of my LTD claim, which means my whopping $267 monthly benefits are being discontinued. While the money is not worth the stress my insurance company has caused me for the last two years, I will be
appealing the denial based on principle alone. They have denied me twice, and I've won each appeal on my own. They put me under surveillance, and came up empty handed, and after 3 of their own peer review doctors supported my diagnoses, treatment and disabililty
with trigeminal neuralgia and anxiety which is aggrevated by my TN, they found an unethical doctor who fabricated and manipulated my medical history, testing, diagnoses, treatment, etc... I know without question I did the best I could on each test under the
challenging circumstances and answered all questions honeslty, yet the neuro psychologist is implying that I am malingering or exaggerating my symptoms and didn't put forth effort on testing. Important to understand are the constant distractions that took
place throughout the day during testing... I had several 2-3 second TN attacks during some of the testing. The evalution took place at a hotel in a conference room located on the first floor by check in. We were interrupted by housekeeping during the intial
interview. I hadn't been aware of the door being open until housekeeping came in right in the middle of me sharing very personal childhood information. I was mortified. The door was left open 85% of the day, The doctor was constantly texting or going online
on his phone and actually paused testing a few times to text another doctor. I also heard advertisements coming from his phone during some of the tests I was struggling with. The conference room was freezing cold, but he did turn it up when I told him. I don't
understand the NE scoring, and was told results can be manipulated by a doctor to favor the insurance company they were hired by, so would like a breakdown of how he came the conclustion i'm manlingling or exagerating my symptoms, when I know 110% niether
is true... I have the Test Data Summary report, but will need to attach and send it to whomever will be reviewing my question.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just uploaded and attached the NE Report Summary for your reveiw
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.
What happened to you that you placed a claim with LTD?
How long ago did this happen?
let me read the report...be right back.
Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MMPI-2-RF Score Breakdown Help PleaseI took the MMPI-2-RF test about two weeks ago and just recieved my results back. I am trying to understand the results, but can't wrap my brain around what each score I recieved means, because I don't know what the caterogies mean or what the average scores are (normal or within range) that would determine whether I passed or failed for each category.I'm a 43 year old female
I've been diagnosed with
1. Trigeminal Neuralgia (2 years ago)
2. Anxiety Disorder
3. DepressionI was told testing was done to measure my cognative issues I have as a result of my unpredictable pain, medication side affects, anxiety, fatigue, etc...Current Medications:
1. Carbamazepine 200mg 4X a day
2. Gabapentin 600mg 4x a day
3. Clonazepam 1mg 1x day
4. Escitalopram 10mg 1X daily
5. Bupropion XL 300mg 1 tablet daily
6. Ultram 50mg Tab 1 tablet as needed daily
7. Cyanocobalamin 1000MCG INJ 1 ML Vial (injection once a monthBased on the categories/results below, my questions are:1. What does each category mean or what is being assessed, i.e. VRIN-r, RCd, etc...?
2. What do my specific scores for each category mean, i.e. VRIN-r: T-Score 53, etc...?
3. Because I have an anxiety and depression, shouldn't my disorders also been scored?Cateogry Score
VRIN-r 53
TRIN-r 50
F-r 74
FP-r 51
Fs 83
FBS-r 70
RBS 71
L-r 37
K-r 42
EID 76
THD 53
BXD 55RCD 66
RC1 59
RC2 80
RC3 43
RC4 59
RC5 Why isn't there an RC 5 Score (not on report)
RC6 56
RC7 62
RC8 56
RC9 48Thank you in advance for your help:0)
Thank you for that additional information.
But, I am sorry, I do not know the answers to the very specific questions concerning this test :(
One thing I do know, however, after helping my best friend deal with a disability claim that was denied through New York Life that, working alone, you are beating your head against a brick wall.
Your only chance, especially given what you have told me here today, to have your disability payments restored, is to hire a "pit bull" of an attorney who is very experienced in dealing with denied disability claims such as yours.
That being said, as you so astutely pointed out, at $267 a month, the lawyer fees will eat up decades worth of disability income.
Only you can decide if the battle is worth the emotional and financial expense at this point.
Does this make sense to you?
I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.
Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.
Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand. Are you able to forward my quesiton to someone who's familiar with the MMPI2RF testing. I saw a few answers on this, but they were other peoples scores, and would like to have my own evaluated and explained. Please advise:0)
I will be happy to opt out so that a new expert can assist you.
I wish you the very best in getting your insurance company to change their mind.
Have a good weekend.