Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Can I take 20mg of fluxotine with30mg of martizapine

Customer Question

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.

Hello, I believe I can help you with your question. The combination of Fluoxetine and Mirtazapine has the potential to cause a rare and serious interaction effect known as Serotonin Syndrome, but because you are taking a low dose of the Fluoxetine at 20mg and only a moderate dose of the Mirtazapine at 30mg, the chance of Serotonin Syndrome is considerably low. Serotonin Syndrome typically occurs if an individual is taking two or more Serotonin Agonist medications at high doses, which you are not. So overall you most likely will be able to take both Fluoxetine and Mirtazapine without any complications, but if you start to notice having a fever, confusion, sweating, tremors in hands, coordination issues, rapid heart rate, headache, and diarrhea than contact the nearest emergency department as soon as possible. But like I stated before, the chance of Serotonin Syndrome occurring from the two medications and doses you are taking is very low to non-existent.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I noticed that you viewed my answer and I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?