Alicia_MSW
Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Specializing in mental health counseling
65143460

Should I be irked that a female friend of my husband just

Customer Question

Should I be irked that a female friend of my husband just posted on his Facebook timeline as his B? .it is not the first time. .she is a friend from before he and I were together. I have a good relationship with her but still feel that this is inappropriate. I have decided that I probably should not confident in her regarding my husband in any way going forward.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His best friend forever. ..bff
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They dated brief a few years before we started dating. I feel like I have been supportive but posting on his Facebook timeline and referring to herself as his best friend seems disrespectful
Expert:  Alicia_MSW replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Alicia. Thanks for your question, I'm happy to help you today.
If I were in your shoes, I would probably feel a bit irked by this situation, too, and it does feel a bit inappropriate to me. But in all honesty, it probably means nothing, since they are obviously still close friends -- if it were something to be worried about, I don't think she would post a comment like this on a public forum like Facebook. I also can see how you might be concerned since they dated briefly before you started dating. However, I don't know if I would make an issue about it with him or her unless it happens again -- it's best to pick and choose your battles in this type of situation and if this is the first time it's happened, I'd try to just give her the benefit of the doubt just so things don't become bigger than they need to be. If you have other concerns, however, then that's another story, but if this is a one-time occurrence then I would try to view it that way but keep your guard up in terms of confiding in her about your husband -- if they are close, I don't know how comfortable I'd feel sharing personal concerns or issues about your husband with her, especially if there are things you don't want him to know that you're discussing with other people. If it still bothers you after a few days, then you could just bring it up with her in a casual way, but it's probably going to be tough to do so. Give it some thought before you decide how to act -- ultimately, you have to do what makes you feel most comfortable and gives you the most peace of mind.
I wish you all the best.