LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  10 years post-MSW experience
25232551

I am 14 and I am diagnosed with at least 6 mental illneses.

Customer Question

I am 14 and I am diagnosed with at least 6 mental illneses. I can'tget over my mom doing methamphetamines (meth) and my great grandma ,who I lived with for nine years dieing because of lynphoma (cancer). I am under treatment now, but I have a hard time copeing and understanding how to cope. CAN YOU HELP ME?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 1 year ago.

Hello: Thanks for writing to us. My name is ***** ***** I'd like to try to help you. It sounds like in your 14 years, you have been through a lot so it is understandable that you feel you are having a hard time coping. Having one or multiple mental illnesses can make it even harder.

One of the best ways for you to begin to heal from the things that have happened to you is to continue to work in treatment. Unfortunately, treatment is sometimes difficult and takes commitment and work on your end. Fortunately, people who put in effort to feeling better tend to get better and better. Are you seeing a counselor as part of your treatment? If you are, make sure that you are being open and honest with that person and really digging deep to express yourself and the way you feel. If for some reason you feel like you do not relate easily to the person you are working with, consider asking a doctor for other recommendations. Finding a great counselor is probably the best thing you can do for yourself in terms of learning skills to cope and having a safe place to process what you have lost. Surrounding yourself with a good support system (counselor, teachers, friends, neighbors, family, doctors, etc.) is shown to help people get through even he toughest of times.

Also, have you ever looked into group counseling/support groups for teens in your area? These can exist for people with mental illness as well as for things like abuse, grief, etc. There are also lots of online support places to talk to peers who have been through what you have. It can be really encouraging to hear from others who are like you and to know you are not alone.

My guess is that since you state you are in treatment, you are being given medications to help alleviate your suffering? If so, you have to take your medications exactly as prescribed and take them everyday. This is HUGE in terms of being more in control of your emotions. Medicine can really help but only if you take it as you are supposed to.

Lastly, seek to fill your time with things that make you feel happy. Getting out and spending time with friends, visiting the library,. going to the mall, reading, people watching, swinging, exercising, playing or watching a sport, sun-bathing, star-gazing, volunteering, playing with animals, cleaning, taking a bath, visiting a museum, etc. are all great ways to keep your mind active and also distracted from thinking about things that bother you. If you find that distracting yourself is tough because negative thoughts tend to creep in, try designating a "worry window" where you set aside 20 minutes everyday to go to a quiet place to fret and feel sad. Then, once your window is up, get up and move on to something else. Every time the bad thoughts creep in throughout the rest of the day, push them from your mind and remind yourself that you already worried for today and it is not time to worry again until tomorrow.

I hope that some of the things I mention help you in overcoming the bad things that have occurred in your life. Remember that you can't change the past so putting too much energy thinking about what has happened to you is not always productive and can make a person feel stuck. The best copers are thinking ahead and trying to seek positive in most everything they do.

I wish you all the best. Please let me know if I can help further!

-Leah

'