Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My wife has mood swings from one minute happy to the next

Customer Question

my wife has mood swings from one minute happy to the next telling me she doesn't want to talk or be around me and sometimes says im smothering her because im in the same room.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello, I am sorry that your wife is having this issue with mood swings, I can understand how distressing this can be for your marriage. Would your wife be willing to undergo therapy or the possible use of medications to help her control these symptoms? Also what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to regarding this situation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is she bi polar and she refuses to go to the doctor or talk to anyone.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

How old is your wife and when did these symptoms start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is 44 type 1 diabetic and they have been small until we got married then everything got worse
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

You stated they have been present until you got married, albeit small, when exactly did you two get married?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 6 months ago
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your responses as it helps me to better understand your situation. So it is highly unlikely that your wife has a Bipolar Disorder based on what you are describing as the mood swings do not shift this rapidly in a Bipolar Disorder. Typically an individual with a true Bipolar Disorder will have cycles of Mania/Hypomania (symptoms include anger, irritability, increased energy, grandiosity, racing thoughts, pressured speech, less need for sleep, impulsiveness, and recklessness) that last for a few days to a few weeks. Than the individual will either go into a Euthymic State (normal mood functioning) for an indeterminate amount of time or a Depressive Cycle for a few months. If the individual goes into a Depressive Cycle, which lasts for a few months, than once the cycle is over the individual will either go to a Euthymic state or a Mania/Hypomania Cycle. Nearly 75-85 percent of people with Bipolar Disorder will have less than 3 Mania/Hypomania Cycles in a 12 month period, and anyone who has 3 or more Mania/Hypomania cycles in a 12 month period are considered rapid cycling. From what you are describing though, it sounds like your wife’s mood symptoms are not consistent with a Bipolar Disorder.

This issue sounds more like a Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD), which result in much faster mood swings that are typically negative (e.g. depression, anxiety, and anger). Unfortunately if your wife will not be willing to see a psychiatrist and a psychologist about these mood swings, they will only continue and may even get worse. The only way to treat BPD is through psychotropic medications and the use of Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT).

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I noticed that you viewed my answer and I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?