Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I want to find a therapist who has successfully treated

Customer Question

I want to find a therapist who has successfully treated people with schizoid personality disorder. Where should I look?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, I would recommend that you use this website to find the appropriate psychologist/therapist that can treat a Schizoid Personality Disorder.

https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/?tr=Hdr_SubBrand

You want to put in your zip code and then you can find therapists in your area. Under issues that they treat you want to look for those that specialize in Personality Disorders, Psychosis, and Depression. There is no issue specifically of Schizoid Personality Disorder since it is too uncommon for a psychologist/therapist to list, and instead these disorders I listed would closely show a suitable therapist for treating Schizoid Personality Disorder.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
I would like to talk to a therapist or clinic who have treated schizoid personality disorder, hopefully successfully. I am not looking for a person to treat my daughter's condition. I want to find someone who has treated it successfully and have a meeting with him/her to better understand the treatment that works. If I can't find one, then it is untreatable and someone should say that.Do you know of any therapist or clinic that has successfully treated schizoid personality disorder? If not, do you have any one or any clinic who might know?Thanks,
John HoebelT
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Many therapists have treated Schizoid Personality Disorder, including myself. Also most major psychiatric hospitals have treated individuals with Schizoid Personality Disorder or traits of Schizoid Personality Disorder. The website I provided can still help you to find individual and private practice therapists that have treated this disorder, but there is no cure for Schizoid Personality Disorder. We only treat to manage the symptoms successfully, so that they are not an overall hindrance in the person's life. Personality Disorders in themselves cannot be cured as they are ingrained in the person's identity, so the symptoms can only be managed to a degree. Like I said though nearly every psychiatric hospital in the country has treated Schizoid Personality Disorder and many therapists have as well, which is why you can still use that link I provided to narrow down your search, but if you are looking for a cure than that is not possible at this time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.My daughter does not have interest in anything. I have seen this labeled anhedonia. I think that lack of interest that came to be at age 14 is her main issue. Does therapist with experience dealing with people with her condition have a way to alleviate her anhedonia condition?Thanks,
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Anhedonia is not typically associated with Schizoid Personality Disorder as individuals with Schizoid Personality Disorder do find pleasure in solitary activities. Anhedonia is not a specific disorder, but a symptom that can be associated with Depression, Psychotic Disorders, etc...A therapist with experience in treating severe depression would be likely to help your daughter as he/she has seen anhedonia, but in most cases a combination treatment of Therapy and Psychotropic medications are best when treating severe depression, including anhedonia.