Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have had anxiety issues last number of years and I have

Customer Question

I have had anxiety issues for the last number of years and I have been on and off antidepressants for the past ten years. After being off for a few years my anxiety has started again, and although I am going for counselling it was suggested while counselling I go back on the medication again. First I was on Celexa for a few years, now I am on Cipralex. After six weeks I do not find it is working. A friend of mine is taking escitalopram for her anxiety and she finds tremendous help. I am 58 years old and take no other medications. Do you think Escitalopram would be a better fit for me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.

Hello, I believe I can help you with your question. Cipralex and Escitalopram are the same medications, as Cipralex's main active ingredient is Escitalopram. In fact Cipralex is the brand-name medication, so it is probably more effective than the generic version of Escitalopram. So from a brand-name vs generic view, Cipralex is better, but like I said both have the same active ingredient. You can try to increase the Cipralex dose to 20mg/day which is the maximum dose and/or try to add an augment to the Cipralex like a low dose of Aripiprazole or a low dose of Mirtazapine, which can increase the effectiveness of the Cipralex.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****