Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I am eager to get over the emotional ache/lump in my throat

Customer Question

I am eager to get over the emotional ache/lump in my throat from ending a 6yr relationship.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a much needed, expected, & way overdue break up. I realize the majority of my sadness is from ending of the routine/habitual daily interactions. I'm not sad about losing the person. I wish the efforts had been mutual, but I can accept that he is a different person now. I chose not to live his lifestyle. I just don't want to have that urge to pick up the phone & contact him. I want to let go completely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I usually emotionally detach quickly. I've heard that isn't healthy. It's what I know. I really want to expedite this process.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello, I am very sorry to hear about this ending of your 6 year relationship, I can understand how difficult this must be for you. I am assuming your mental health question is concerning how to move forward from this relationship and end the “emotional ache,” would this be correct? For how long have you two been broken up? What specifically have you tried so far to help you overcome this “emotional ache?” And lastly you mentioned that you typically detach quickly from relationships, but was this one of the longer relationships you have ever had and that is why this one may be different?