Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I feel sad everyday. I have become very irritable and think

Customer Question

Hello. I feel sad everyday. I have become very irritable and think about a way to comfort myself. My interest in life has deteriorated in an extent which I don't know what I am supposed to do with my life anymore. I am lonely most of the time. I have been feeling paralyzed for about 2 years. My decision making abilities are impaired. I have great deal of difficulty in dealing with social situations. I have coped with the loss of my father (2012) and brother (2010) and financial difficulties, but still feel I am in a thunderstorm.Because of my situation, my friends have left me alone, thus I don't have any one besides my mother and sister to talk to, but I can't talk about everything with them. Do you think I am depressed?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello, I am sorry that you are feeling sad every day and have these other symptoms. From what you described, it does unfortunately sound like you are suffering from a Major Depressive Disorder. Have you talked to your doctor about starting an antidepressant?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes, but I didn't take them, because I didn't like the possible side effects
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Most of the side effects associated with an antidepressant are temporary and only last for a few weeks until your body adjusts to the medication. If you do not want to start an antidepressant than I would recommend undergoing weekly therapy with someone that specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) as this is the most effective form of therapy to treat a depressive disorder. In addition, you could start a natural supplements called St. Johns Wort as this can help lessen depressive symptoms as well, but it is not as strong as an antidepressant although it will have far less side effects.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I noticed that you viewed my answer and I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?
*****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****