Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

What is the treatment Madonna complex?

Customer Question

What is the treatment for he Madonna whore complex?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello, there is no official diagnosis involving the Madonna Whore Complex as this is a term used and coined by Freud, so can you please describe your symptoms, for how long you have had these symptoms, and what treatments you have tried so far. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, very similar to what Freud desribed: I view women, sexually, as either "Madonna" or as a whore. I would much prefer, sexually, to view pornography and masterbate, than kiss and show affection for my wife and sleep with her.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Okay, well the treatment for this would be psychotherapy, preferably with a Sex Therapist that has a focus on a psychodynamic modality due to your preference to call this the Madonna-Whore Complex. There is no medication that can be used to treat this issue unfortunately. A Sex Therapist is best suited for a treatment like this because Sex Therapists typically have a post-graduate training involving all matters of sexual intimacy and sexual arousal, so he/she would be best trained to help you with your issue. The treatment for this matter most likely would last for several months, so do not expect a quick fix from changing this thought process you have regarding women and intimacy.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I've had symptoms since I was first introduced to porn as a boy, maybe 23 yrs ago. I've always had trouble viewing my wife with sexual desire, 8 yrs. I have not tried any particularly therapy although I often wish and have tried to abstain from porn. I have no issue with desiring women, zero. Just issues with my wife.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I understand, it would still be best if you sought treatment with a Sex Therapist for this issue and resolve this matter through therapy like I stated above. Therapy will help to change your view and thought process regarding sexual arousal and intimacy with your wife so that you can have a more successful marriage in this area.