Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

3 year old son speech delayed. Anti social and enjoys playing

Customer Question

3 year old son speech delayed. Anti social and enjoys playing alone. Feel there is something else but not exactly sure what it is. Live in a very small place with few specialists and not sure how to proceed?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I can understand why you are concerned for your son regarding this behavior. Has your son been evaluated by a Child Psychologist yet or has he only been evaluated by a Speech Therapist?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we went through child find which was the early childhood intervention, and when he was 3 program ended and he was evaluated and accepted through the school district for IEP and support for speech, social/behavioral support. He has 'autism symptoms' but I truly don't think he's has autism. However, there is something going on and it's very difficult to know where to turn. Denver is aprox 3 hours away.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is loving, kind, direct, and good to his sister 15 months younger and our animals. a good eater, and if he doesn't get what he wants, he really goes over board, and it's feeling like all the time. Plus no interest in potty training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
very active and above the curve in most motor skills for his age, and he's very tall.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Okay so you state you live in a small area and Denver is 3 hours away, have you considered seeking a specialist there, specifically one who has experience working with possible developmental disorders?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, but not sure what kind? do i go see an OT, or do an autism screening, or sensory processing disorder, or is he a narly 3 year old boy? Really at a loss on how to move forward or the next step.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
No an occupational therapist would not be the most appropriate specialist to go to for this. What you want is a full battery assessment and that should be done by a Child Psychologist, Child Psychiatrist, or a Developmental Psychologist. These are the specialists that will be best for your son to evaluate his cognitive and social skills, and to perform psychological tests for Autism Spectrum Disorder, ADHD, and other possible developmental disorders. If need be blood tests may be performed as well for possible genetic abnormalities.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I noticed that you viewed my answer and I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?
*****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****