Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My husband quit drinking 2 mons ago when he drank and smoked

Customer Question

My husband quit drinking 2 mons ago when he drank and smoked pot burned our house and we are are still fighting the insurance a year ago and now we moves back home Ina trailer and he stared smoking when he quit drinking I can't stand it that how we lost our home our pets and he doesn't get it why I get upset ,he smokes outside the premises of the house , yet he doesn't want me to have any alchohol around the house , he got fired from his job doesn't is working now but not able toco tribute to the home expenses ,and he want to set rules , I want him to go !!! Having a hard time please send advice
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am very sorry that you are having this issue with your husband, I can understand how distressing of a time this can be for you. I understand that you are looking for help, but this is a Q&A website, so what is your specific mental health question that you would like to ask me regarding this situation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is is he substitution one vice for another,he is doing just like the alcohol hiding from the family and isolating himself, the dr had him on buspar and depakote he stop all his meds becAuse he claims he is detoxing yet he has high blood pressure and he smoking , but climbs it's better than drinking or smoking pot .
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your clarification what you are looking for. It sounds like he definitely has substance abuse issues and going from drinking to smoking is not necessarily fully about addiction or having a "vice," but instead it is reliant on him needing the substance to cope with all the stress and other mental health symptoms he experiences. Your husband is someone who believes he needs substances to get through the day because his own mental health symptoms are too strong and that is why he relies on them so much. So yes he did trade one vice for the other because in his mind he needs them to cope. I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue. *****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I noticed that you viewed my answer and I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?
*****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****