Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Yes, the self hatred is endless. To add to the hatred, I've

Customer Question

Yes, the self hatred is endless. To add to the hatred, I've gained 50 lbs.& feel I'm in the wrong body. I hate the way I look. I'm bipolar & all the medication seems to make me gain. Is there any medication that will not cause weight or help me lose?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, you can try Abilify or Geodon to help control your Bipolar Disorder as these atypical antipsychotics are considered weight neutral. Your use of Lithium will definitely cause weight gain I am afraid as that is the biggest culprit in causing weight gain from the Mood Stabilizer family of medications. Another option would be to add Topamax to your Lithium regimen as this medication can promote weight loss and may curb a significant portion of that weight gain from the Lithium.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*****Remember I only get compensated for my hard work through positive ratings, so I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a POSITIVE RATING using the smiley faces/stars. Thank you so much and it was my pleasure helping you with your issue.*****