Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Everybody.. So past year My father has had visions

Customer Question

Hi everybody.. So for the past year My father has had visions of people following him and well pretty much stalking him and not letting him do anything.As his son I am very worried because my mom nor I or the rest of the family see anything or hear anything.We have tried to help him But we can't really do anything.We have tried to get him to go to a psychiatrist to see if there is anything wrong with him But he insists nothing is wrong.I am very worried I do not know what to do.He says our neighbors are the ones bothering him but My family and I know they have done nothing.I have tried to look for help on the internet but there is nothing on this specific problem.I believe he is mentally unstable.Any advice on what I can do?Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.
Hello, I am very sorry that your father has been experiencing these symptoms, I can understand how distressing this can be for you to witness this. Unfortunately it sounds like your father is experiencing a psychotic disorder as you state he has delusions of people stalking him (paranoia) and may be seeing or hearing things that are not there (hallucinations). The only treatment for this is the use of an atypical antipsychotic medication or if this is linked to another medical disorder or substance (e.g. Dementia, medication use, etc...) than there would have to be a thorough evaluation to assess any other underlying issues involved. The difficult part in getting him to seek out treatment when he refuses to go himself is that you are going to have to involuntarily commit him to get him assessed and treated properly. An emergency involuntary commitment is possible if he is a danger to himself or others, or is gravely disabled meaning that he cannot take care of his daily living needs. If an emergency involuntary commitment is not possible than a non-emergency involuntary commitment would be next and for this you would have to speak to a Family Law attorney about a conservatorship where you have to prove to a judge that your father has a mental illness and that it severely affects his daily life. If the conservatorship is granted than a conservator (either court appointed or a family member) will be put in charge of his medical care and then forced treatment can be provided for your father.
I know this is a difficult situation, and if your father will not voluntarily seek out treatment than you should go ahead with an involuntary commitment process to get him the help that he needs.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*****Remember I only get compensated for my hard work through positive ratings, so I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a POSITIVE RATING using the smiley faces/stars. Thank you so much and it was my pleasure helping you with your issue.*****
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I noticed that you viewed my answer and I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue? *****Remember I only get compensated for my hard work through positive ratings, so I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a POSITIVE RATING using the smiley faces/stars. Thank you so much and it was my pleasure helping you with your issue.*****