Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Can an nerous/mental breakdown itself cause PTSD-what happened

Customer Question

can an nerous/mental breakdown itself cause PTSD-what happened to you when you were in the breakdown
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.
Hello, I believe I can help you with your concern. A Nervous/Mental Breakdown would not in itself cause PTSD because in order to qualify for a diagnosis of PTSD there must be "exposure to actual or threatened death, serious injury, or sexual violence" according to the most up to date criteria outlined by the DSM-5. But it is possible that a Nervous/Mental Breakdown could cause a separate Traumatic Disorder like "Other Specified Trauma and Stressor Related Disorder" or "Unspecified Trauma and Stressor Related Disorder." Obviously to qualify for a Traumatic Disorder after a Nervous/Mental Breakdown it would require you to have a majorty of symptoms that include Anxiety, Hypervigilance, Nightmares, Panic Attacks, Dissociation, and/or Persistent Thoughts of the Traumatic Event.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*****Remember I only get compensated for my hard work through positive ratings, so I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a POSITIVE RATING using the smiley faces/stars. Thank you so much and it was my pleasure helping you with your issue.*****