Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Our grandson is 6 yrs. old and very very moody but very very

Customer Question

Our grandson is 6 yrs. old and very very moody but very very intelligent. He loves playing on ipad and really cannot listen when told to turn it off. He acts out with anger and slamming doors. He is often inconsolable. He is not allowed to watch tv, plays baseball and has a cousin who lives next door (age 7). He is sweet to his little brother and teachers in kindergarten love our grandson, but he is a handful when he doesn't get his own way. It started when he was 5 and we thought that was awful! We are keeping him and his 16 month old brother for 8 days soon and getting uptight about how to handle this behavior. Many thanks for ANY help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am very sorry that you are having this issue with your grandson, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. I would like to ask a few questions to get a better idea of the situation, so that I can better assist you.
1. For how long, that you know of, has he been behaving in this manner?
2. Does he typically get temper tantrums that you would consider excessive when he does not get his way?
3. Would you describe him as someone who is routinely defiant towards authority figures in the home?
4. Has he ever been examined by a Child Psychologist/Therapist?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I made a mistake in this website. I wish to end this discussion.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
No worries, I understand. I wish you and your grandson all the best