Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My name is ***** ***** have been on Prothiaden

Customer Question

Hi , My name is ***** ***** have been on Prothiaden for over 20 years and have recently been in hospital and under a phyciatrist, who has said i have been misdiagnosed as having depression, and the meds have vitually been turning my body toxic. I have come off the meds a dose of 375 over 7-8 weeks, feeling the nausea in the latter 4 weeks, body agitation, with withdrawl, when should i turn the corner. The odesetron tablet dont seem to help or maxilon. Just wondering how much longer and if their is anything else to help, or just keep riding it out. Thankyou...leanne
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.
Hello, I am so sorry that you are suffering from withdrawal symptoms after discontinuing the Prothiaden, I can understand how distressing this must be for you. What you can do to help lessen some of your symptoms of withdrawal would be to ask your doctor for a benzodiazepine like Clonazepam to be taken twice a day, as this is a strong medication that has been shown to lessen withdrawal symptoms from antidepressants including the nausea related symptoms that you have. This may be more effective than the Maxolon and Ondansetron you are currently taking. Other than that, these symptoms could last for several more weeks given how long you were taking the Prothiaden. In uncommon cases (10-15 percent) there could be protracted withdrawal that can last for several months, but hopefully this will not apply to you.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. I truly wish you all the best and I hope that your withdrawal symptoms lessen very soon. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*****If you are satisfied with my answer, I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a POSITIVE rating so that I can receive credit for helping you. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I noticed that you viewed my answer and I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?
*****Remember I only get compensated for my hard work through positive ratings, so I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a POSITIVE RATING using the smiley faces/stars. Thank you so much and it was my pleasure helping you with your issue.*****