Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

WHAT IS THE BEST TREATMENT JEALOUSY DISORDE

Customer Question

WHAT IS THE BEST TREATMENT FOR DELUSIONAL JEALOUSY DISORDER?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.
Hello, I believe I can help you with your question. Typically any delusional disorder, including delusional jealousy needs to be treated two-fold. First the patient needs to be put on a psychotropic medication regimen that must include an atypical antipsychotic medication to help lessen the incidence of these delusions and to help the patient become more aware that he/she has delusions. Other psychotropic medications can be given on a case by case basis, for instance if the patient has intense anxiety than an antidepressant and/or benzodiazepine will be given as well, since anxiety/stress can trigger delusions.
The second part of the treatment, and probably the most important, would be the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). The medications can only lessen the symptoms of delusions, but CBT therapy will get at the core cause of these delusions and help to change the individual’s thought process which will lessen the delusions and overall heal the individual. CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective, then your symptoms will lessen as well. Delusional Disorders are not typically permanent and can respond well to treatment, but it usually takes several months to over a year for the treatment to be successful.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. I truly wish this individual all the best with their future treatment and I hope this issue with delusional jealousy lessens very soon. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*****If you are satisfied with my answer, I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a POSITIVE rating so that I can receive credit for helping you. Thank you