Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

111mk, I currently take 150 mg traZodone . It stopped

Customer Question

I currently take 150 mg traZodone for insomnia. It stopped working. Is this the max dose allowed for insomnia w this drug of can I increase to 200 mg safely?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.
Hello again, I believe I can help you with your question. Trazodone is an antidepressant and is only used as a sleep aid medication as an off-label use. You can definitely increase to 200mg as that is still a safe dose. The maximum dose for Trazodone is 400mg/day, so 200mg is considered a safe dose for treating insomnia. But because you are going to be at 200mg per night, this suggests that you are building a tolerance to Trazodone and eventually you will need to switch off this sleep aid medication and try other sleep aid medications like Doxepin, Seroquel, Amitriptyline, Temazepam, or Zolpidem.
I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. I wish you all the best and I hope your insomnia resolves very soon for you. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.
*****If you are satisfied with my answer, I would truly appreciate it if you can take the time and provide me with a POSITIVE rating so that I can receive credit for helping you. Thank you