Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Im Chris. So I have had very bad insomnia now

Customer Question

Hi Im Chris. So I have had very bad insomnia now for about 7 years. It started when I became worried sleeplessness and then developed a phobia about going to bed and worried about not sleeping. I started taking trazadone wihich worked beautifully. Recently at the beginning of this year I had a traumatic crisis happen to me. This made the sleep anxiety and the insomnia worse and the trazadone wasnt working and I was an anxious wreck for whole month before I finally went to a psychiatrist. He prescribed a low dose of temazepam to be taken with my low does of trazadone. This did help a lot, but it hasnt worked perfectly. it gets me to sleep in minutes, but i often have early awakenings and often wake during the night and takes me a few minutes to get back to sleep. Im afraid because I feel like nothing else will help me better. Mind you I know nothing about sleep meds. But I am terrified that this is the end of the line. Please tell me this is not true. please help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.
Hello, I believe I may be able to help you with your concern. So this is definitely not the end of the line as for as sleep aid medications go, so you should not worry about that at this point, but first I would like to know the exact dose of the Temazepam and the Trazodone that you take?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I was checking in to see if you read my follow-up question concerning the doses of your current sleep aid medications. I only asked to see if raising the dose is a possibility or switching to other more effective sleep aid-medications, as I want to provide you with a thorough answer.